Thursday 14 April 2011

THIEVES IN THE NIGHT

Chartres - April 4

All gone. All my toys bar one in a single aggravating night of felony by a bunch of... no, they are probably les miserables made even more so by the vicious actions of drug barons and bankers.

It went like this. I finally felt well enough to make the four hour journey from Mont St Michel to Chartres. It was not a great decision as it happens. An hour or so down the road the phone rang and it was the campsite to kindly tell us that the delayed package of pills for Janet had finally crawled the last few hundred metres to Courtils. Eight days for about 500 miles!

But we 'sped' on and arrived in good time at Chartres, finding the site easily. It was OK in a French kind of way, on the banks of the river which was however made inaccessible by a security fence of which more anon. The put up was faster ands better accomplished but I was knackered by the end and well aware I might have done better to stay put one more day. Oh boy was I right this time.

As ever, with the awning up and properly fitted out we felt complete. I left a few items in the car – quite safe of course – and we retired to bed. All slept well including our ever watchful and alert hound, Ollie. In the morning a neighbourly camper told us a window was open. It had been smashed in – silently by pressure with a jemmy – and all my cameras and lenses, two bags of spare clothing and some books were gone. Oh, and the SAS caravan wheel clamps which I had not fitted as the awning was up and the site roadway secure. It is heavy so I carry it in the side tool compartment in the rear of the car.

Three other campers we also done – none so throroughly however. Professionals, as they cut out quarter lights silently with a Stanley knife, broke my window silently and knew every compartment including the 'hidden' optional extras in my Skoda! They even took the special Canon camera battery car charger from the little hatch under the steering column!

The French police turned up promptly, did a reasonable job of scouting about, taking details and even called up a SOCO who photographed (nice bloody Nikon!) and even dusted for dabs – zilch; too humid as in morning dew. More blue action than we would get in the UK, I have to admit.

It was generally agreed the security fence by the river was inadequate. It was, I now see designed to be environmentally sensistive, green, gauzy and insubstantial. A bare six feet and mildly spiked – you can turn them down with your fingers! It was also revealed that thefts were not uncommon, as in three times year. Especially early in the season. The site opened on April 1; today is the 5th!!!!

Walking the dog later I found a shielded stretch some distance from the main camp with two areas of the fence bent down about 18 inches, the spikes turned down and close to one an area of long grass freshly trodden and disturbed – late night sex or our stuff awaiting collection. Close by in the soft ground were two wide tyre tracks, uncannily like the balloon tyres fitted to quad bikes. Do I waste another day helping the police with their inquiries? What do you think!

It could have been worse but the aggravations are legion. Long calls to insurance companies. Janet spent two hours with the local police filling in forms. I found a VW dealer and arranged ordering a side window; it could be in tomorrow and will be fitted “sur votre command” - same day then, Monsieur!

I shall buy some sort of camera to tide us over – I cannot stand not having a proper viewfinder so the pirce will not be low; may as well make it a proper 'back up' like the sweet little Fuji I guess. But me? One camera and no extra lenses? No Gorilla tripod? I'll die.

If the window is done tomorrow morning we shall be able to start doing Chartres – until then the car is not secure of course. A rubbish bag and three yards of gaffer tape isn't gonna stop these (expletives deleted) people.



No comments:

Post a Comment